Dedication Ceremony, Grissom AFB, And Lafayette, Indiana 1968/05/09 - 1968/05/12
"Covers dedication ceremonies at Grissom AFB, formerly Bunker Hill AFB, in honor of the late astronaut Virgil "Gus" Grissom. Dignitaries include Mrs. Grissom, her sons and brother-in-law; Lt Gen Austin J. Russell, astronaut Leroy G. Cooper, and Asst Secy of AF Thomas N. Nielsen. Includes aerobatics by Dick Schram (Piper Super Cub), Bob Hoover (P-51) and Thunderbirds (F-100Ds).
Reel 1, 952': ROLL: P-1.
1) SPs and sentry dogs in enclosure.
2) Spectators viewing B-58A, F-111A, B-52, C-141A, and T-38A on display.
3) SAC Drill Team performing. 196' ROLL: P-2.
4) Karate demonstration. 388' ROLL: P-3.
5) AF Academy Drum and Bugle Corps playing.
7) Gordon Pipers (bagpipe band) playing and marching. 577' ROLL: P-4.
8) Purdue University Band playing. 9) Spectators.
10) Members of US Army Golden Knights parachute team descending to flight line. 763' ROLL: P-5.
11) Dedication ceremonies with introduction of Mrs. Betty Grissom, her sons and brother-in-law, Lt Gen Russell, and other guests, followed by speeches.
12) Spectators at ceremonies.
Reel 2, 957': ROLL: 62D-2027.
1) Mechanical Engineering building, Administration building, and Grissom Hall at Purdue University, Lafayette, Indiana.
2) Former home of astronaut Grissom.
3) Sign: GRISSOM AFB 305th BOMB WING. 191' ROLL: M62D-2028.
4) Gate and sign: GRISSOM AIR FORCE BASE.
5) Building and sign: GRISSOM INN. 6) AF Academy Drum and Bugle Corps playing and marching. 384' ROLL: M62D-2029.
7) Gordon Pipers playing and marching. 577' ROLL: M62D-2031.
8) Dedication ceremonies with speeches by Asst Secy Nielsen, Mrs Grissom, Col Cooper and others.
9) Flyovers of KC-135A with B-58A in refueling position and B-58A. 767' ROLL: M62D-2032.
10) Aerobatics by Dick Schram in his Super Cub.
11) Aerobatics by Bob Hoover in his P-51.
Reel 3, 757': ROLL: M62D-1401. 1) SAC Drill team performing.
2) Karate demonstration. 188' ROLL: M62D-1402.
3) AF Academy Drum and Bugle Corps playing.
4) Spectators. 375' ROLL: M62D-HO3.
5) SPs and sentry dogs in enclosed area.
6) Spectators viewing B-58A, F-111A, C-141A, B-52 and F-84 on display.
566' ROLL: M62D-1404.
7) HA aircraft display area, spectators and dedication ceremonies.
Reel 4, 764': ROLL: P-6.
1) MCUs Col Cooper, Mrs. Grissom, sons and brother-in-law, Lt Gen Russell, Asst Secy Nielsen and others on platform.
2) Flyovers of KC-135A with B-58A in refueling position, and B-58A.
3) Super Cub taxiing out, and aerobatics by Dick Schram. 195' ROLL: P-7.
4) Aerobatics by Schram in his Super Cub.
5) Aerobatics by Hoover in his P-51. 387' ROLL: M62D-2030.
6) Dedication ceremonies, introducing Mrs. Grissom, sons, and brother-in-law, Col Cooper and others.
580' ROLL: M62D-2033.
7) F-100D Thunderbird aerobatics."
National Archives Identifier: 71865